Queen Mary’s Grammar School Governing Body
The School is part of the Mercian Trust, a multi-academy trust, which was incorporated on 1st January 2018.
Following the formation of the Mercian Trust, the Trustees established Local Governing Boards (LGBs) for each of its Schools and which serve as committees of the Mercian Trust Board.
The role of the LGB includes:
- Day to day oversight of the running of the School in terms of learning, standards, safety and well-being and the general provision of pastoral care.
- Implementation of the Trust’s vision, policies and priorities.
- Holding the School’s leadership team to account for academic performance.
- Supporting the Trust Board and its other sub-committees in relation to the proper use of funds and the delivery of high quality educational provision.
- To advise and act as a ‘critical friend’ to the Headteacher and to inform the Trust Board of any issues at the School which may require their consideration.
- To provide support to the Leadership Team at the School by facilitating disciplinary and complaint procedures.
The membership of the LGB is set out in the Mercian Trust’s Terms of Reference and which is approved by the Board from time to time.
LGB Membership shall include:
- At least 2 parent members.
- At least 2 staff members.
- The Headteacher.
- Up to 4 members as may be appointed by the Mercian Board of Trustees.
- Up to 3 members as may be co-opted by the LGB subject to Trust approval.
- Such a number of members appointed by the Queen Mary’s Foundation Charity and which shall outnumber all of the members in all of the other categories by one.
The details below are of the Members of the Mercian Trust, the Mercian Trustees and of the LGB. The attendances are for the last academic year and the details of the LGB resignations are those that occurred in the last 12 months. The LGB has no additional committees except for Admissions, Staffing, Student Discipline, Pay, Headteacher’s Review and Complaints. These are convened when required.
Details of Members of the Mercian Trust from 1.1.18.
Mr. John Punch – Chair – Appointed 1.1.18.
Mrs. Vivian Fairbank – Member – Appointed 1.1.18.
Mr. David Lomax – Member -Appointed 1.1.18.
Mr. Philip Powell – Member – Appointed 1.1.18.
Mr. John Vallance – Member – Appointed 1.1.18.
Details of the Mercian Trustees.
Mr Kevin Davis -Chair
Ms Rebecca Hearsey-Vice-Chair
Mrs Jane Bonner – Trustee
Ms Melanie Crooks – Trustee
Mr Paul Lee – Trustee
The Reverend Beverley Boden – Trustee
Mr Mark Harland – Trustee
The Rt. Hon. Sir Gary Hickinbottom – Trustee
Dr David Oloke – Trustee
Mr Roland Roberts- Trustee
Mr Eddie Stride – Trustee.
Further details relating to both Mercian Members and Mercian Trustees are available on the Mercian Trust Website and which may be accessed using the link above.
Details of Members of the LGB.
Details of the Local Governing Board
|Name||Term of Office||Category||Attendance 2022/2023||Relevant Business Interests||Relationships with school staff.||Other Governorships|
|Neil Moseley (Chair)||1.1.22- 31.12.25||Foundation||6/7||None||None||None|
|Timothy Lawrence (Vice-Chair) Link Governor for Pupil Premium and SEND. Also serves as a Member of the Mercian Trust AIMS Committee.||1.1.22-31.12.25||Foundation||7/7||None||None||None|
|Richard Langton||Headmaster||Ex Officio||7/7||None||Member of Staff||None|
|Sarah Swain||26.9.19-25.9.23||Staff||5/5||None||Member of staff||None|
|Richard Kirk Link Governor for Behaviour and Attendance.||9.12.19-8.12.23||Foundation||2/5||None||None||None|
|Hamel Patel Link Governor for Property and Health and Safety.||21.3.22-20.3.26||Foundation||5/6||None||None||None|
|James Picken Link Governor for Safeguarding and Welfare.||23.9.19-22.9.23||Foundation||4/5||None||None||None|
|Iftikhar Ahmed||3.2.20 – 2.2.24||Parent||5/6||None||None||None|
|Dr Zain Iqbal Link Governor for Teaching and Learning and CPD.||6.9.21 – 5.9.25||Foundation||3/5||None||None||None|
|Mark Purcell Link Governor for Quality of Education: Curriculum, Outcomes and post 16.||15.12.21-14.12.25||Foundation||3/5||None||None||None|
|Faeeza Vaid MBE Link Governor for Diversity and Inclusion.||27.9.22-26.9.26||Foundation||5/5||None||None||None|
|Rajinder Kudhail Link Governor for CEIAG/Co-curricular.||24.10.22 -23.10.26||Parent||3/4||None||None||None|
|Ashvin Patel||Resigned 27.9.22|
|Daniel Hunt||Resigned 14.11.22|
|Lee Roberts||Resigned 17.4.23|
|Rahila Naguthney||Resigned 23.6.23|
Mr. H Patel’s term as Parent Governor expired on 20.3.22. He was re-appointed as a Foundation Governor for a further 4 year term.